Creative Toys: Learning Happens while Children are Busy Having Fun The idea of structured education and...
Why a Cheap Paint Job Devalues Your Property: and What to Do About it
You have an investment property in Hobart, and to make regular income, you’re keen on letting it out. A fresh coat of paint is the first step towards preparing your house for viewing, and like any smart consumer, you start by getting the quotes in. Wonder of wonders! One of them is way cheaper than the rest. Should you accept it?
It turns out that there are several good reasons why you shouldn’t. At least, not until you’ve asked a few rather suspicious questions. As property managers in Hobart, we’ve seen paint jobs that actually devalue a property. Wondering how that’s possible? Read on!
How to cut corners and give the lowest quote
There are a lot of shortcuts that can help prospective contractors to give you the lowest quote by far. The question is whether you – or anybody else – will actually be pleased with the results you get. Here are a few:
- Inadequate surface preparation. Fact: paint applied to improperly prepared surfaces doesn’t last. It can flake off like dandruff even if the contractor chooses a good brand of paint.
- Choosing the cheapest paint. From powdery paints that literally rub off when you run a finger across them to gunky gloss paints that just won’t go on smoothly, there are many reasons to choose trusted and reliable paint brands – even if they do cost more.
- A quick and dirty job. Getting a neat finish is harder than it looks. It takes a little skill, experience, and time to get a really neat paint finish.
- Just slapping it on. There’s an art to applying paint correctly. Run marks and rough textures after painting are out and a nice, even finish is very much in.
- Clean up, what clean up? Then there are the folks who think that paint spills and specks on surfaces like floors (and, heaven forbid, carpets) or windows aren’t a biggie. You’re left with a mess to clean up – or else you accept the results and deter the best tenants in Hobart.
Depending on just how bad the job is, fixing up the resulting mess can cost you anything from just a bit of annoyance to a full repainting. And if you decide to just sell up and have done with it, you probably won’t fetch the price your property deserves.
Smart property buyers will look at the quality of a paint job and factor it into the price they’re willing to pay. If you decide to rent out as is, you might not command the rent you deserve, and you might not get good tenants who care about looking after your property.
How to get a paint job that adds value
Price is certainly a factor to consider, but you also want professionalism. Evaluating the contractor whose quote you’re considering will be the first step. Ask friends and neighbours whether they can recommend a local contractor’s work, and if you’re already checking out a quote, look around for reviews online.
Ask the contractors very specific questions: what products will they use? Do they offer a guarantee? How will they protect surfaces against spills? If they can show you images of completed work and even give you contact details of satisfied customers, that’s a plus point. However, do bear in mind that a contractor will point you towards his best work and his most satisfied customers. Whether these are representative samples is questionable.
Finally, it really helps to be there on the day. Even if you don’t know anything about house painting, you’ll be able to spot warning signs such as contractors using a cheaper paint than they quoted you for or shoddy workmanship on the part of poorly-trained employees.
The easiest solution for your investment property in Hobart
Whether your primary residence is in Hobart or on the other end of Australia, getting renovations done professionally by trusted contractors is easier than you might have realized. Professional property managers have first-hand experience with contractors – and that’s the best way of knowing whether you’ll get the quality you deserve.
At Baxton Property Management in Hobart, we care for many valuable investment properties. As a result, we have a database of contractors we know we (and you) can rely on. Take the sweat and worry out of finding the right contractors. We’ll get you a fair price and professional results. Talk to us today. With us, your investment property in Hobart is in good hands!
Written and syndicated by
– Baxton Media.
- Property Management Tips on Paint Colours that Work Well
- Investment Property: What Renovations Help you Up the Rent?
- Landlords: Tips for renovations
We hope you enjoyed this article
The information contained in this article is based on the authors opinion only and is of a general nature which is not indicative of future results or events and does not consider your personal situation or particular needs. Professional advice should always be sought relevant to your circumstances.
See more articles below
You May Also Like
The 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics is set to be HOT, HOT, HOT for all concerned...
While Australian toddlers and preschoolers are still way behind nations such as the US in...