Creative Toys: Learning Happens while Children are Busy Having Fun The idea of structured education and...
Renters: Don’t forget to change address
Congratulations on finding the perfect home. Now that your application has been approved, it’s time to address a few important steps to make the moving process simple and straightforward.
4 simple steps make all the difference
You need to make sure that while you’re moving, your mail moves with you. This is your time to let friends, family, clubs, companies and government agencies know where your new digs are.
There are a number of great services around to make this task easier – we’ve narrowed it down to 4 key tasks:
1. Consider redirecting your mail
Australia Post gives you the option to redirect your mail for 1, 3, 6 or 12 months for a permanent move, or up to a chosen date if you’re only moving temporarily. Just remember to allow 3 business days for Australia Post to process your application. You can pick up and complete a mail redirect form in-store, or fill out an application online.
Whenever the post office receives mail addressed to your old residence, a sticker with your new address will be placed on the envelope, and the mail will be delivered to your new address.
2. Update your details on the electoral roll
Every time you move, you MUST update your address on the Australian Electoral Commission electoral roll, or your name could be removed and you will be unable to vote. You will be eligible to enrol for your new address once you’ve been at your new address for at least one month. Change your address online with the AEC.
3. Driver and vehicle services
It is a legal requirement in all states to notify Driver and Vehicle Services (Department of Transport) that you’re changing your address. You can complete a form online, or let them know in writing. Once you have notified Driver and Vehicle Services of your change of address, a change of address label will be mailed out to you. You will need to affix this label to the back of your driver’s licence, Learners Permit or Photo Card within the space provided. Check with your relevant state DoT to see what is applicable to you.
4. Get contact savvy
Contact everyone you know. Even though your mail is now being forwarded, this isn’t a permanent solution. People and companies still won’t know you have moved, so you must inform them of your new address. Remember that while some companies may be informed by the ‘change of address’ service, there will be many others that won’t.
Make an effort to contact everyone you receive mail from. Here is a general checklist of important people and businesses. Keep in mind that this list is by no means extensive, and certain items will not apply to everyone.
– Australia Post
– Australian Electoral Commission
– Australian Taxation Office
– Banks, Credit Unions
– Department of Transport
– Health professionals (Doctor, physiotherapist, dentist, optometrist, etc)
– Human Services (Centrelink, Child Support, Medicare, etc)
– Insurance companies (Car, house, contents, life, ambulance, health, etc)
– Internet service provider
– Local council (Pet registration, etc)
– Loyalty programs and store cards (FlyBuys, Woolworths, Coles, Myer One, David Jones, QANTAS, Virgin, etc)
– Mobile phone company
– Newspapers and magazine subscriptions
– Schools or Tertiary institutions
– Superannuation fund/s
– Union affiliations
– Utility connections (Water, Power, Gas)
– Veterinary services
Can we help you find a new home?
Written and syndicated by
– Baxton Media.
- How to avoid budget blowouts?
- 8 simple tricks to curb your spending
- 8 easy budget tips for tenants
- 4 tips to save energy at home
- Carpet cleaning: 16 household heroes to save you money
- Star energy ratings explained
- Tips on fighting mould
We hope you enjoyed this article
The information contained in this article is based on the authors opinion only and is of a general nature which is not indicative of future results or events and does not consider your personal situation or particular needs. Professional advice should always be sought relevant to your circumstances.
See more articles below
You May Also Like
The 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics is set to be HOT, HOT, HOT for all concerned...
While Australian toddlers and preschoolers are still way behind nations such as the US in...