Moving can be stressful. It’s right near the top of the list when it comes to the worst causes of stress. Some people even describe it as a nightmare equal to none. But there are ways to bring down the levels of stress. According to a property management company in Hobart, the key to a stress-free move is in what you do before moving day.
Moving needn’t be stressful if you are moving to a place you really like. But it needs to be well thought-out and planned, and those plans must be followed through every step of the way. The secret is in breaking it down into do-able chucks, long before the actual day you have to move.
Where to start: One month before your move
- If you are going to get a moving company, decide on your budget and get three written quotes from companies referred to you by friends.
- Book the date you want to move, trying to avoid weekends and public holidays.
- Take leave from your job to deal with the move. Allow yourself enough time to pack and unpack.
- Start sorting your possessions, to get an idea of how many boxes you will need. At the same time, get rid of stuff you no longer need.
- Make an inventory of all your possessions.
- Get boxes, bubble wrap and tape. Look out for wardrobe boxes that can take your wardrobe, hangers and all.
- Draw a floor plan of your new home and work out how you will arrange the furniture.
- Notify your service suppliers of your move, including doctors, schools, the electricity supply company, and so on.
Three weeks before your move:
- Start packing the things you use least, and get ruthless at throwing out. Remember you don’t want to pay for moving stuff you don’t use.
- Set a goal of how many boxes you will pack every day.
- Label your boxes, stating content and what room it belongs in.
- Discontinue all deliveries, and inform companies of your new address.
- Arrange for your new home to be cleaned.
One week before your move:
- Set aside all you will need on the first night in your new home. Linen, towels, cutlery, kettle and so on.
- Water your indoor plants and pack them in plastic-lined boxes.
- Arrange locksmiths, babysitters, and any other assistance you will need on the day you move.
- Back up computers.
The day before your move:
- Defrost your fridge and freezer.
- Pack your personal belongings that will go with you.
- Draw cash to have at hand if you need to get something.
- Pack appliances and tie-up the cords.
- Create a plan of action for the actual move.
At last you are moving:
- Make sure the truck is on time and has parking space both sides.
- Keep your personal belongings with you.
- Give a floor plan of your new home to the movers.
- Tick the items as they are moved.
- Move the kitchen last, to be unpacked first.
- Make a note of electricity and water readings.
- Make sure you are there when the movers arrive at your new home.
- Guide them to where things must go.
- Mark off items, as they are offloaded, and check for damage.
Once you are in your new home:
- Unpack what you need for the night and make your beds.
- Check if the water and lights are on. Switch the hot water on.
- Plug in your fridge and freezer.
- Check if there is any damage to the property. Make a note, or take a photo of defects such as damaged light fittings, broken windows and so on. Report the damage to your property management company.
- Check your security. Do you have all the keys? Change locks if need be.
- Spend time settling your kids and pets.
Let your property management company in Hobart help you
Have fun unpacking in your new home. As a property management company in Hobart, we know how to take care of our tenants. Contact us or visit our web page for further tips and ideas for enjoying your new home.
Written and syndicated by
– Baxton Media.
Apple News | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Instagram | LinkedIn
#1 – Australia’s Property Management Specialists